I’d say the first thing you need is… a pumpkin.Cinderella
When I started this pizza I had something else in mind. But, when I got into the kitchen, I found myself reaching for mushrooms, spinach, and tomatoes. I love this combination of veggies and I wanted to add something extra to make this pizza a bit more unique. I remembered reading a recipe that combines pumpkin puree and marinara sauce, so I decided to give it a try.
I am so glad I did because the result was delicious. Pumpkin puree makes the marinara sauce less liquidy so your pizza stays crisper in the middle. Plus pumpkin has a number of health benefits including being high in vitamin A and antioxidants and low in fat and calories.
For this pizza, you can use any veggies you like. Remember you only need a handful of any one item to top a medium size pizza. I sliced up some button mushrooms and cherry tomatoes and threw in a handful of spinach. I also added some dried rosemary to my dough to give the crust added flavor and because it smells amazing while it’s baking.
- dough of choice
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce
- 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
- handful vegan mozzarella, shredded
- handful spinach leaves, washed and dried
- handful cherry tomatoes, sliced in half and lightly salted
- 6 mushrooms, sliced thin
- 2-3 garlic cloves, smashed or minced
- 1/4 yellow onion, diced
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Heat oven to 425°.
- Prep all your veggies so that when you start to cook, everything is ready.
- In a small bowl, add pumpkin puree to marinara sauce and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Heat frying pan over medium-high heat. Add glug of olive oil.
- Add onions. Stir to combine and stir occasionally for 2 minutes, until onions become translucent.
- Add garlic, salt and pepper.
- Add mushrooms, stir to coat with oil, and cook for about 4 minutes, stirring occasionally so the mushrooms do not burn.
- Add spinach and cook another 2 minutes, letting the spinach wilt in the pan.
- When spinach wilts, turn off the heat, but leave the pan on the stove.
- Roll out your dough.
- Spread pumpkin and marinara mixture over the dough, leaving one inch uncovered around the perimeter of your pizza.
- Place cherry tomatoes around your pizza.
- Top with spinach and mushroom mix.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes.
- Slice, serve, and enjoy!